Originally Posted By: samwik
[quote=Revlgking] Sam, I ask, what, for you, makes my definition of 'god' a 'transcendent' one?
... And you said,
Quote:
It refers to something beyond the material/dimensional, such as when you say,"not as a 'god' in any way shape or form--that is, an idol with dimensions--or even a supernatural being, with dimensions ...."
=======================Thanks, for that! Theologically speaking, I hope you can see what I have in mind. In my opinion, a 'god' that can be named and called 'God' is nothing more than a mentally created idol, not what I had in mind when the idea came to me to use an acronym like, GOD, G0D, G?D, or even the Jewish version, G-d.
Quote:

Originally Posted By: Revlgking
I also ask: What do the common terms 'religion','gods','god' and 'God'--as used in English Bibles, theological writings and by virtually all monotheists, non-theists and atheists--mean to you?
To which you responded,
Quote:
...save for later ...though I like the omni-definition for God ...as being omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient ...in a transcendent way, of course....
You say you like "the omni-definition for God". This is why I no longer find it easy to stick with the proper noun, 'God'. If you do, you have the right to do so.

Interestingly, the ancient Hebrews made no use of capital letters, as we do. Unlike modern Hebrew, all letters were upper case.

When the ancient Hebrews wished to make a word, or a noun "proper", or "majestic", they made it into what is called a "majestic plural". That is, they pluralized it by adding the suffix IM. So GOD became ELOHIM--power (EL) in its highest form--that from which, even now, all matter emanates.

The modern Greek for power is dynami, from which we get words like dynamic, dynamo--logically speaking, it is the noun they should have used for 'god'.

However, as your helpful exegesis makes clear, the Greeks called 'God', Theos--which, I assume, they thought of as the highest idea behind all forms of power.

I REALIZE THAT THE FOLLOWING IS SIMPLISTIC--but here goes:
When we Anglo-speakers came along, I speculate that we simply chose to think of 'God', not as a being, or as a power, but as the ONE, POWERFUL and GOOD IDEA--in through us--including all people of GOOD-will--and around all that IS.

Modern philosophers and theologians, like A.N. Whitehead, coined the word, 'panENtheism'. I like to use a doublet of this word--coined by Warren Farr and me--'unitheism'. Our group on FaceBook welcomes one and all.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org