The following is a re-wording of my comment, above, about charity
================================================================
WE NEED TO THINK LONG, HARD, DEEPLY AND THEN REALLY DIALOGUE ABOUT WHAT IT MEANS TO BE CHARITABLE.

Keep in mind: I make no claim to fully understand what this concept means, ultimately. But, IMO, it does include mercy, justice and peace for all involved.

PHILOLOGY AND ETYMOLOGY
Those who read my comments know by now that I love philology and etymology--My love of words and going back to their source.

Our word 'charity' comes from the Latin, charitas, which translates the Greek, agape--that is, spiritual-based love, the highest good.

Over the years, 'charity' has come to mean many things.

Check out:

http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=oprahs_stale_definition_of_charity
This is an interesting comment about the Oprah Winfrey Show:
Quote:
The show pushes its contestants, plopped down in unknown cities, to maniacally search for people who look needy enough for good photo ops and to satisfy the judges.

That's not generosity.

That's kind of gross and irresponsible. It's also the opposite of what's actually happening in the field of philanthropy, which is moving more and more toward sustainable change in the form of micro lending and bringing the oppressed to the decision-making tables where they can shape less oppressive policies themselves.
: what the rich and powerful give to the poor.

IMO, being charitable is not simply the giving of money to people for doing nothing--for themselves, their families or for society.
Single mothers, really willing to work to help raise their children, deserve fair wages from the community.

My role? It involves my being responsible and willing enough to take the time to show people that poverty is a state of mind originating in the human spirit. Because of my own poverty-stricken childhood, I am qualified to speak from experience.

With confidence I can tell people: When I chose to be prosperous, I became prosperous. The most important thing I can do for others is to encourage them to make the same choice.

I tell poor people--and I did this just recently--if I need your services, I will pay for it at a mutually agreed on rate. But I will resist the temptation to give you something for nothing. Read what Paul says in 2 Thessalonian s 3:10: "He who will not work, let him not eat."

Keep in mind that, in practice, I tend to be very merciful and forgiving of those who, for whatever reason, fail to measure up to my high standards.

No doubt, I will revise, and expand on, the above again, and again.

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/16/08 10:33 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org