"The resistance is useless comment comes from "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy". The Vogon utters the words as he is taking Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect to be thrown into deep space. I presume Redewenur was suggesting that nothing is likely to change your belief. I don't have a problem with that as you are prepared to accept freedom of choice and pluralism in others of us. It's when belief in the supernatural influences decisions which greatly affect others that I have a problem. But of course our beliefs always influence our actions."
I agree with that 100%. Oh, it must have been a while since I've seen the Guide, since I dont remember that part.

"especially when it's related to the horrors of fundamentalism."
Good, because I'm not a fundamentalist.

Yes, I enjoy learning about science, as you suspected. Interesting quote by Confucius, makes sense though.

"More or less closely related than are chimpanzees, humans and gorillas? The other two species also engage in "Self-sacrifice, caring for others" on occassions."
Yes, that is what I was implying, actually. Somewhere along the evolutionary line something came giving less dominant traits. Something that gives them the ability to distinguish friends and those in need of help, and extend yourself to them. To me, that is among the most honorable and noble deeds a man can do. In a sense -and if I'm unclear in this, tell me and I'll explain- he is surpassing his past of constant struggles. Instead of letting go and acting upon instinct, he jumps in front of the bullet to protect his brother. The movie V For Vendetta (one of my favorites) expresses this: for when Evey is (or at least she thinks she is) being interrigated, she doesn't give up. They could take every inch of her, every inch except one, her Freedom which is largely masked inside our race. Such qualities in man do not demonstrate weakness or meekness, but show our capacity for love and kindness.

The story (myth) of the Fall of Adam and Eve illustrates this, as does evolution in my point of view.
The Bible Myth (i do not beleive that it physically happened)- God created two humans, put them in a Paradise, and let them choose their fate. They failed, ate from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. From this, they are largely wicked. But still, they are granted Freedom of Choice. In this view, Jesus fulfilled the gap lost at the Fall, and through recognizing Him they acheive eternal life. (At the end of the book of Revelation it shows the Tree of Life [which was present in the Paradise in the Garden of Eden in which God said they could not eat] given to them. In a sense, their choice of going away from the pack (active resistence as opposed to passive) will give them Love and Freedom.
Perhaps that is just a myth, as you (and I) think. It probably did not actually happen, and what I said there is not strictly my view, but that is what Christian beleive.

The Evolutionary Process, at its core, has a similar theme/message, I think. On the surface, they would seem opposites, but perhaps not. Search deeper, climb higher, and tell me. Does evolution have a Redemptive theme?
Evolution literally means "to roll out." When I hear that word, I think of a cone, starting at the point and getting larger, out-rolling. Progress. Homo sapiens coming from single-celled organisms.

Do you agree with that or not? Keep in mind that I am writing this with an open mind. Is it cynical in any way? My point is for pluarlism for one's God is different from anothers (who might not have any, he says).