TerryNZ, you say that, "Being virtuous makes life a lot easier."

Perhaps this is true, for all of us, especially those of us who have a sensitive conscience. But surely you are not suggesting that being virtuous always makes life easier on this earthly plane.

I know that I feel very guilty, even when I do things, which are not necessarily against any law.

For example, as a minister, there were times when I felt guilty when I held back from visiting parishoners who I found boring. In the church-trade these are called "sins" of omission--failing to do the things we feel we ought to do. It is not against any law to avoid such people, but clergy often feel badly for not wanting to put up with them

In addition, keep in mind: There are times when "being virtuous" can present us with all kinds of problems. For example, it caused Moses, Socrates, Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Joan of Arc, Mohatma Ghandi, Martin Luther King, and numerous other great leaders, a lot of physical and mental pain. For some it even caused their deaths.

You say, "You're not looking over your shoulder (to see if God is watching you?) all the time to see if you've got away with something." You are talking about the God of theism, right?

But, keep in mind that the real world is filled with more than imagined angels, demons and gods. There are real vilains out to there, ready to take revenge on us, especially if we have the courage to expose their vilainy. With or without God, being virtuous can sometime be very costly, don't you think?

You say: "Besides, I have said elsewhere that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Most religions have the same idea but phrase it differently."

Is this latter--the law of karma--part of your atheist philosophy (religion)? BTW, tt is mentioned in Galatians 5--the writings of St. Paul, in the New Testament.

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/01/07 09:08 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org