Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Yes, one of my assistant ministers was deep into TM. So were several of my congregants. They all said that my classes in pneumatology, with its emphasis on meditation on "connecting with and tuning into" GOD--not pleading with a reluctant god to answer our prayers--were on the same path.

My critique of the Maharishi was his selling those so-called "secret" mantras, which are well known Sanskrit words to all those who take the time to look.

Ah, so you compared notes with those who had their own opinions about the Maharishi rather than actually immersing yourself in Maharishi and his Teachings.
That put things into perspective.
I suppose the discovery of some similarities in the idea that God is not a person or thing with expectations would give someone a feeling or idea of possibly knowing everything about The Maharishi and his teaching... confused

I was hoping when you said you met Maharishi that we could actually have a conversation regarding the way of a Guru.

ABOUT JOHN 17:20-26: Then who are the "them" "those" "they" and "us" mentioned in the whole passage, to the end of the chapter? In Luke, Jesus said: "I am among you as one that serves."

20 And he (John) confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.

21 And they (priests and Levites) asked him (John), What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No.

22 Then said they (priests and Levites) unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer to them (voice of the crowd, Jews of Jerusalem given authority by their self appointed mastery, [the pharisees] who wanted proof of the reality of the prophet and his message of the Christed one) that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself?

23 He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.

24 And they which were sent were of the Pharisees.

25 And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then, if thou be not that Christ, nor Elias, neither that prophet?

26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not;

I don't get how you interpret these passages to mean: "he does not come on as a master looking for subjects but as another voice in the chorus."

Basically the story speaks of the messenger John spreading the word of the coming of the Master Jesus who won't add to the chorus of doubt, fear superstition and suspicion that man has in regard to God in the scriptures, but will by his example lead thru the baptism of fire, or in simple language, "Lead the heart of ripe souls through the illusions of ego by burning the illusions with truth like turning on a light in a dark room to expose what is really there."

My suggestion is that all of who are truly interested in spirituality need to stop this casuistry--clever but false reasoning, the art of splitting hairs--which only gives more power to the ego. Let us focus on spirituality.

Comprehension of reality and the ability to understand language of spirituality would be tantamount to being able to focus on it.
That would necessarily mean that personalizing truth and making it democratic would not be spiritual but religious in nature.

As I said before knowing God is part and parcel to living in God's world as a God conscious being in the Now.

Like Iehe points out
Quote:
When ego replaces spirit, religion replaces spirituality.
BTW, Iehe, I basically agree with you and do not need to cling to the word.

But keep in mind: IMO, an ego-dominated religion is a sick religion--or way of life. Can there be such a thing as a sick kind of spirituality?

If the ego is twisting truth and thru belief and supposition it becomes personal rather than universal it is not True spirituality, but a delusion created in limitation and separation from the experience of the "One".

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!