It's been a while since I posted on this thread; so at the risk of contradicting something I wrote before....

Philosophy is in the eye of the beholder... as is each personal relationship with religion (or with spirituality or creator or judgement). And we all interpret things as best we may try, so that things "make sense" or at least provide some framework for understanding life, etc.

Other frameworks, such as materialism or humanism, can serve the same function; but the point is, it is all about interpretation. As Christopher Langan says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan
"...since Biblical accounts of the genesis of our world and species are true but metaphorical, our task is to correctly decipher the metaphor in light of scientific evidence also given to us by God."

I don't think I've ever met a phor that I didn't like. I mean that I like metaphors, and can always find a scientifically valid interpretation. Interpretation is the key to translating from one perspective to another... assuming one has a framework from which to attempt interpreting a novel perspective. With that preface....
===

What about the function of religion... in society, for our species and evolution, for families or governments, or for individuals, and over time and through history? Has this been discussed? Is there a Table of Contents for this thread? ...hint, hint, Revl.
===

I've been enjoying the many confirmations of recent biogeochemical revelations, which I increasingly find while interpreting biblical metaphors, creation stories, and archaeology. It's a fun reason to explore and mine those resources.

The "conservation of matter" principle is revealed in the simple "ashes to ashes, and dust to dust" phrasing; when you learn about the salts and metals of which ashes are composed, and the carbon and oxygen and silica that build dust. Dust and ashes, mixed together, build earth; from which we come and to which we return....
===

Revl, I wanted to share a link--in case you missed the superbowl advertisement--that I've enjoyed; especially since soil is the source of our sustenance. Soil seems key to addressing the 8 Millennium Development Goals and the 5 Food Security Steps. ...and what else is there, for the future?

Quote:
http://farmersforthefuture.ning.com/profiles/blogs/so-god-made-a-farmer

And on the 8th day God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker!". So, God made a farmer!

This is yet another interpretation, for the Gaia perspective that I enjoy utilizing.

~Blessings & Prayers ...for you and your flock.

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.