Keeping this response brief, may I simply say,
Quote:
Sam, thanks for making it clear that you accept that, "anthropomorphizing leads to many misunderstandings and should be avoided".
And I should have prefaced what I said as follows: The following question is the kind of one that atheists often pressure theists to raise. "Why don't you ask your 'god' the following?"
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
... "God, why do you allow so much pain and suffering, especially the kind inflicted on the innocent and on children, on the planet we call 'mother earth?'"
Because, like you, I have long since stopped thinking anthropomorphically of such a god. Therefore, for me it is no longer a pertinent question.

To which you respond
Quote:
Yes, it is impertinent; but that is the way of children, and can be forgiven.

Should a mother try to shape, mould, and educate her children; teach them of value and consequence? [...asked rhetorically] ... [Here may I add: IMO, parents educate, pass on their values and shape the lives of their children more by their actions than by what they say. I like saying: Morally good and true religion is about doing good DEEDS, not about spouting CREEDS.]

On a related track:
From whence does value arise? What do we value? How is value established? Where is the source of value?

~ smile

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/30/13 03:30 AM. Reason: Always helpful!

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org