Ellis comments:
Quote:
Rev-- I cannot believe that you wrote this. How can you compare your life in Canada to that of a child born in a tarred paper lean-to on a rubbish tip in the Philippines?
Believe it or not, I actually lived in third world conditions. You go on
Quote:
...You may have come from a poor family, but you were born into a country with a splendid reputation for Social Welfare, good education, excellent health care, an appreciation of the law, equality of franchise etc etc. Canada is a country that can stand proud in its treatment of its citizens...
Are you sure you know of what you speak?

For your information, Ellis, I was not born a Canadian. I migrated to Canada, as student, in 1947. I was 17.

All I had, at the time, was about $500.00. In those days, it was enough to pay for one-half year of university. I earned it working for Dominion Iron and Steel (DOSCO). I picked rock out of iron ore--ten hours a day, six days a week. DOSCO did not give one cent to help students, no matter how bright they were.

BTW, I earned the other $500.00, I needed, while I was at university. My service in the army and the navy paid for the rest of my education. I was fortunate.

LET US NOT BE TOO HASTY
Keep in mind that Newfoundland did not become a part of Canada until 1949. Then, I was 19 and in my second year of university, in New Brunswick http://www.mta.ca We students, there, actually helped bring about Confederation with Canada. Even then, Canada, in terms of the social justice you describe, had a long way to go.

In Toronto, in 1965, as a young minister (35), I served on the picket line in Toronto, which helped bring in medicare.

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/17/08 04:54 AM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org