Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Quote:
I was shocked to learn that they didn't know what the word "stewardship" meant; just had not seemed to have heard the word before.
That is odd. I happen to have a Greek/English, inter-linear--New Testament, which was published by the JW's in 1942. I can read Greek, slowly. The Greek for 'steward' is OIKONOMON--sounds like our English word, economics.

It literally means 'the manager of house and property. The JW NT does use 'steward' (Luke 16)--from English: keeper (warden) of the animal stys.
Originally Posted By: Rev.
Anon, I am surprised you give give no response to my last post? How much do you know about the JW's?

Haha, the sty warden.
===

Sorry Rev. ...vacation....
Yes, the origin of the word Stewardship is interesting, but don't know anything more about the JW's.
I recall this also....

http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=24520#Post24520
Quote:
The more I think about whether Economics is a science or not, the more I think that what we need is a... Science of Civilization. ...Civinomics?

Economy: Latin, oeconomia = household management: => from the Greek, oikonomia => from oikonomos = a steward (oikos = house + nemein = to manage).

Economic: Latin, oeconimicus = orderly, methodical: => from the Greek, oikonomikos = economical (oikos = house + nomikos = ?).

Ecology: from the Greek (oikos = house + ology = science of).

Thanks for the citation in the JW bible. I'll have some "ammunition" for when they return.....

Later,
~K