FF, I sincerely regret to say that I found the interview with The Maharishi, by my "Jewish cousin" Larry King, more sleep-producing than informative. smile

I wonder: What happened to all the hair the MMY had on top of his head, when I had a brief chat with him in 1964, here in Toronto? Did it all fly away? laugh
==========================
QUESTIONS
BTW, seriously, FF--or anyone interested in responding--What are your opinions on questions like:

1. Why is it that some people are so gung ho on being holistic--physically, mentally and spiritually developed and mature--while others couldn't care less?
2. Are we hard-wired, by our heredity and environment, to be who we are?
3. Or, are we who are interested in growing spiritually simply deluded and wasting our time and money?

Speaking of being deluded: In his book, The Future of an Illusion, Sigmund Freud described religion--and I assume this includes all kinds of spirituality--as "the universal neurosis"--a form of mental illness.
4. Was he on the money?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Future_of_an_Illusion

BTW, nowhere does Freud say that all religion should be abolished. He inferred that it has its uses; that religion can help some people control harmful instincts, and that an illusion is not necessarily an error.

"Karen Armstrong notes in A History of God that "not all psychoanalysts agreed with Freud's view of God," citing Alfred Adler, who believed God was a projection which had been "helpful to humanity", and C.G. Jung, who, when asked whether he believed in God, said "I do not have to believe. I know!"

I suspect that, like Spinoza and Freud, the above, are not saying there is a separate human-like god, who is a supernatural being up there, who created the universe and is even now in control.

AM I CORRECT IN SAYING THAT THE ACRONYM 'G~0~D' IS A CANADIAN INVENTION? /b]
For my own selfish reasons, I hope that no one discovers that someone before me thought of the idea of dropping the noun, 'God', and replacing it with the acronym/tilde-containing word G~0~D--another Canadian invention? smile Otherwise, what would I have to write about in my old age, eh? As we say in Canada.

[b]THE FULL TEXT OF FREUD'S BOOK

http://www.adolphus.nl/xcrpts/xcfreudill.html

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org