C.F. I. stands for the Center For Inquiry
Check out the following and see what you think
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/12699/

Occam is a moderator. - 02 July 2012 11:05 AM In a recent post he wrote is response to me:

RevLGK, I agree, the original topic [IN WHICH I CALLED FOR A DIALOGUE, NOT A DEBATE] has long disappeared. That seems to be a usual pattern on discussion boards that are not rigidly monitored. The topic gets discussed for a while, then when most have had their say, someone responds to an extraneous comment, and that becomes the new subject of discussion.

This can be annoying to those who would like to continue on the original topic. I suggest that you post a short summary of the items you would like to have discussed. The members will almost certainly be led back to that. Occam

I responded: Thanks, Occam. Let’s see the response we get to your suggestion. What should it be, a DIALOGUE or a DEBATE?

In my opinion: There is quite a difference between having a dialogue (a polite conversation)—the method I enjoy and prefer using—and having a debate. I did not join CFI to win a debate. Most of what I say is my opinion.

I have no desire to prove that I HAVE The Truth and that those who disagree with me do NOT. I could say more here but I will leave it at that.

Again in my opinion, debating—which, in the proper context can be enjoyable and valuable—as I understand it is a method best suited to the spoken word, not the written one, like this forum. I can’t imagine the complexity of having a civilized debate—minus ad hominems and insults—about interesting and important items, people, issues and topics in a forum.

BTW, my large two-volume, World Book Dictionary, which I like using, defines ‘debate’ as a “discussion of reasons for and against ...”. It gives the archaic(Old French & Latin) meaning as fighting; strife and contention; to fight, quarrel, contend and “debate with angry swords” (Shakespeare).

BTW 2, about ad hominems, insults and the like—direct or implied—which I try to avoid using: IMO, such verbal daggers, swords, javelins and the like can be just as death dealing as metal ones. IMO, they have no place in a dialogue or, for that matter, in any truly civilized debate in which I would agree to participate.
=======================================
Here is the Signature I used at CFI:

I think of myself as one is free to be, or not to be, a G~0~D~like being—to do all that is Good, Opportune & Desirable, & use my willpower wisely, or NOT Check profile & http://www.lindsayking.ca for bio.

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/02/12 08:49 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org