First of all we'd better clarify that this is an athiest concept and you can't claim any more connection between it and your GOD idea than I can with my nature idea.

Quote:
Kallog, none of the above bears even a close resemblance as to what the Toronto Dollar experiment, which has been going on since 1998, is all about. Participating merchants have no complaints.

It says on their website that they keep only 90% squirreled away so people can cash out. That means somebody must end up paying the 10% that goes to charity. Which is the people who cash out, right? Maybe the merchant who discovers he's not quite in the right field to have enough ccc-minded customers. I guess the expiry dates just mean you can swap them for new notes without paying 10%?

Quote:

Meanwhile, they are free to spend all the dollars they have and a lot of products get moved.

Of course. That statement carries no meaning.

Quote:

BTW, how much reading have you actually done about the history, nature and function of money

It's not about reading. I'm not interested in deferring to somebody else's opinion. I want to understand how it works and why it's not as great as it sounds. I'm deeply suspicious of this system as being anything more than a way for retail shops to attract customers who like the idea of supporting charity without directly seeing their own money going down the hole.

Quote:

NO REAL COMMUNITY NEED EVER BORROW AND PAY INTEREST ON MONEY TO MONEY-MANIPULATORS WHO LIVE OUTSIDE IT.

What does it matter if somebody lives inside or outside the community? Are some people more deserving than others?
Interest free money? Where does this break down? Can the 'community' be a whole country? Can everyody just borrow money without interest? At what level do the nice promises break down and it just stops working?

That's a lot of questions. But you stated some very bold promises. If it could work in its current form, on a usefully large scale, then it would have done so already. Not just a few hundred businesses in one town, but it would have become the defacto standard way of trading all over the world.

Last edited by kallog; 03/31/11 02:55 PM.