Originally Posted By: Ellis
Nothing is 'just something to believe in'. I think it has often been suggested that that our beliefs are the most important things about us as we make our way through life.
Sorry but I don't believe that. whistle
Personally I think belief is only a reflection of what we hold onto as a concept of reality. They don't define who we are, and life does not always accommodate fantasy or belief that is contrary to the greater reality.
I don't think those who subscribed to the flat earth belief, measured themselves by their superstition, tho others with contrary beliefs might offer a value judgment.

Even beliefs we specifically reject for ourselves may the bedrock of another's life, maybe even foundation of their sanity.
Just goes to show you that if a person is only held together by their thoughts and they're interrupted, they would cease to be. cry

The problem of belief happens when a doctrine is imposed on others, often for their own good. It is indeed true that 'the way to hell is paved with good intentions". However for that aphorism to succeed you would probably have to believe in the existence of hell!
Reminds me of the story about the person who mistakes a rope for a snake, has a heart attack and dies. Trying to impose the belief onto another is going to be subject to the nature of reality and ones ability to experience it for what it is...
Which brings me back to the question:
Is pneuma something that can be experienced, or just something to believe in. Do we impose human frailties upon it the same way religion imbues all of our human emotional weaknesses and judgments upon the Gods we believe in?

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!