Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Yes; there can never have been a time when there was nothing, or there would still be nothing now.

It follows that something must always have existed; i.e. something is eternal.

Sorry, this doesn't pass the basic science test. We both know that time had a beginning (at the big bang), and we know that quantum fluctuations can result in the production of matter from, literally, nothing (i.e. vacuum -> matter).

There is no need for an infinity old universe (in fact, we know our universe is finite in age), and we know that something can, literally, arise from nothing.

A good video, by a physicist who studies this kind of stuff (and who is much more articulate than I):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Science has not provided a viable explanation for the origin of the cosmos, as distinct from the Universe. The most logical conclusion is that the cosmos is infinite/eternal. I stress that it is only a tentative start.

Sure it has - in that science makes no claims as to the existence of an external "super universe". Its a useful construct to make some math work; but there is no evidence to suggest that there is an outside universe.

Bryan

Last edited by ImagingGeek; 11/02/10 01:08 PM.

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA