The sun has been shining today, so all the outdoor jobs that called in vain for attention in yesterday’s rain were the more insistent. Of course, they didn’t all get done, but a certain tiredness and feeling of satisfaction bespeaks a degree of success that yesterday didn’t promise. As predicted, Hurricane Katia reached us this evening. Naturally it was not a hurricane by the time it arrived. The wind got up – a little – for about 20 minutes and a few dark clouds passed over. I bet people who live in the path of hurricanes wish that’s all the amounted to.

Rev, we seem to have crossed wires! It’s not hard to be at cross purposes with others when dear-held beliefs are involved, but there's no excuse for leaving them crossed. It calls to mind a delightful quote from Henry Williamson, describing a defensive otter: “Er riz up all yinny-yicker!” The more mischievous side of my nature is sometimes tempted to prod people to see where their yinny-yicker reaction cuts in, but I usually resist the temptation; perhaps because I recall my mother’s yinny-yicker reaction, which was certainly better left un prodded.

First, I should say that I was trying to summarize what I understood Louis to be saying; which is different from trying to summarize what he might actually have been saying.

Quote:
No modern theologian that I know of, especially me, speaks of 'a' god as 'a' being with dimensions

Let’s take this with the later comment:

Quote:
If there is a god who is a an all-powerful and monster-like god, how come he puts up with those who reject him/her?

I interpreted Louis’s comments as saying: If there is a god, and that god is a monster, we might expect to see his/her actions in terms of unmistakable smiting of those who displeased her/him. Since this is not the pattern we see, it is reasonable to argue that there is no such god. Thus far, I think I am more or less in line with modern theologians.

Quote:
Masterpiece? It is a mean-spirited generalization. Again I ask: How much do those who make such broad generalizations really know about the saints, of all religions, who gave, and continue to give, their lives to make the world a better place?

As you rightly point out “there are human hypocrites in all fields”; there are probably also good and selfless people in all fields; but drawing generalizations about wider contexts from these facts is often not helpful. If Louis was referring to (for example) Christ, Muhammad or the Buddha, I would not agree with his comment, but looking at the harm done in the name of major religions, and the lifestyles of many religious leaders gives one pause for thought.

As far as John Wesley is concerned; I grew up in “John Wesley country”, I have a great respect for him and his work. I have also experienced some of the bigotry and even hatred perpetrated by some of those who are proud to have his name above their chapel doors. I believe such attitudes and actions would distress him greatly. I also think that that is not what Louis was talking about.

There never was nothing.