Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Ref.[quote=Tutor Turtle]: Not so! I have no idea where you got this false impression.

I got the impression from your innuendos and personal messages. The references to what it is that you enjoy about specific topic construction, writing, dialogue and beliefs, and the corresponding complaints made to me and others within this thread regarding the fact that I don't live up to your standards. They paint a pretty clear picture.
Oh... Almost forgot to mention the posts where you said you'd complained to the moderators.. wink

As I only read what I enjoy reading well-organized writing, writing that helps me learn about about people, ideas and things I never knew before--the ignore button, which I can switch on or off, anytime, suits me fine.

You've repeatedly made this statement so that much is clear.

However, addressing, the "Things I never knew before" statement:
I've found that if you don't agree or can't find an internet reference to something you haven't heard of or experienced, that you seem less than willing to accept an alternate point of view if you've already made up your mind about something.

About "Yogic Flying". Do you really expect readers to accept that meditation can help those who practice it overcome gravity? Or is it just to be understood as a metaphor?

Obviously you've been operating on this idea and your expert's opinion of what the exercise is about, so that is what you have probably thought I was referring to.
That would be the part about learning something new that I fail to comprehend when one throws accusations at another for some time before asking a question if that is what the person means.
Having an open mind to explore where a person is coming from, rather than assuming where a person is at, seems to be a rampant disease, where sweeping statements are made to an idea regarding popular belief.

To answer your question anything is possible, but more than that I believe what Maharishi intended for his students was to stretch the limits of mind and body. To detach from fixed ideas so one is open to new experiences and possibilities of ones relationship to reality.
Rather than waiting for someone to dictate when it's OK to think and act differently without fear of reprisal from the accepted social and political mores and their forces (which try and reform those who do not march to the tune of the majority), there is freedom of choice and thought available to anyone who wishes to explore the world thru their own experience. Instead of assuming everything thru the dictates of others who claim to be experts.

Personally, I've never tried it nor do I know anyone who has levitated. Those who practice it tell me they achieve amazing results when they let go of the idea that something is not possible, and none are disappointed if they don't achieve launch into weightlessness.

Like a monk who wears a color or takes vows, outward actions represent the inward march to move into possibility and to let go of attachments to the idea of the box.

Regardless of the illusions and prejudices of any onlookers who insist all unfamiliar actions are the results of the attempts to abandon sensibility, those who practice thinking outside of the box will always find someone who wants to make a claim to anything different, as nonsense.

On another note, there is within the mindset of those who assume realities, many who will take what the Teacher says and give it their own meaning. This is evidenced by different practitioners within any teaching, who have different beliefs and claim to be experts. Such is life in the world of relative values where the ego is involved.

It is my understanding that meditation is not a modern phenomenon. It has a long history and has been practiced by all kinds of people throughout the ages.
So has religion. Not all practices achieve the same results, nor do those who preach and teach, preach effective modalities and know what they are talking about.
Not all beliefs lead one to expansion of love, or expansion of the intellect and consciousness.
More importantly:
Not all people can take a viable practice and make it work for them.

Some can't let go of their predisposition towards a particular style of thought and action, and/or open themselves to a new way of thinking and action.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!