Originally Posted By: kallog
...Those are just people who like to believe something. Who consider ancient people's ideas to be somehow more deserving of respect than modern ones. Who aren't concerned with how nature really works, but prefer to fantasize about how they'd like it to work...
Those? Gives some names. Who do you have in mind, Kallog?

Me? What is my reason for being? What do I believe, and why? And who do I respect?

PHILOSOPHY, SCIENCE AND ART
===========================
I like the saying "All science begins as a philosophy and ends as an art." And keep in mind: Philosophy includes pneumatology, psychology and theology.

I usually find it easy to respect most people (past and present) I meet and get to know. Yes, I include people in general, including amateurs--lovers of what they do--as well well as professionals.

ALL CURIOUS PEOPLE ARE PHILOSOPHERS
I consider people, especially children who ask a lot of questions, with a curiosity and an eagerness to overcome ignorance with the help of knowledge, to be philosophers. Socrates also emphasized how important it is to be humble enough how little we actually know about many things.

I have a great respect for philosophers who have reached the teacher level, who have the ability to speak with knowledge and confidence, to write, influence and communicate what has been learned to others.

PHILOSOPHY IS THE FOUNDATION OF SCIENCE
Scientists are those who explore the nature, function and practical use of the ideas they, as philosophers, or others imagines and though about.

ART IS THE APPLICATION OF PHILOSOPHY AND SCIENCE
The artists among us use the the tools and materials invented by the scientists to create the things we find to be useful and beautiful. Over the years I have done quite a number of paintings. I have a daughter, married to an artist, a carver (Tofino, BC). She paints and carves. My son who is an R&B musician, and teacher, here is Toronto.

If you are interested, I am very willing to have more dialogue with you, and others, about the ideas expressed above.
BTW, do you think that the Bible nothing but
fantasy?
Meanwhile, check out 1 Corinthians 12, and especially 13. Then tell me what you think. If you don't have a Bible you can find the passage at www.biblegateway.com

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org