Solipsism:
sol·ip·sism
[sol-ip-siz-uhm]
noun
Philosophy . the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist.
extreme preoccupation with and indulgence of one's feelings, desires, etc.; egoistic self-absorption.

If it pertains to the philosophical point of view, Conscience would be whatever served the natural evolution of the cosmos.
Like floating down a river, one does not try to grasp onto the shoreline for fear of the water and its direction. Knowing that its inevitable end is to merge with the infinite ocean that it empties into, you would also know that the water that made the river came from where it will go.

Energy is energy and all feelings can be witnessed by the individual rather than being consumed by them. One would need only to know that feelings are not a bad thing.

Unfortunately most adults teach their children that feelings are inappropriate in certain places and that they make others feel uncomfortable. This being the rule one finds themselves uncomfortable with their own feelings as they learn to accept that it is uncomfortable to witness another have their feelings.
Makes for a sphinctered emotional mindset where everyone fears the feelings of others, and that may remind them of how bad feelings are.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!