Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Sam, what makes my definition of 'god' a 'transcendent' one?
...It refers to something beyond the material/dimensional, such as when you say, "not as a 'god' in any way shape or form--that is, an idol with dimensions--or even a supernatural being, with dimensions ...."

I also ask: What do the common terms 'religion','gods','god' and 'God'--as used in English Bibles, theological writings and by virtually all monotheists, non-theists and atheists--mean to you?
...save for later ...though I like the omni-definition for God ...as being omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient ...in a transcendent way, of course....

May I also ask your definition of 'theology'? Have you heard the definition given by atheists, some of whom like to pretend they have wit: Theology is a "science" without a subject. HA!HA!HA!
...well, the study of 'the' ...or 'theos,' I suppose.
Quote:
theós (of unknown origin) – properly, God, the Creator and owner of all things.

http://www.biblepages.net/ho15.htm
The verb theôreô meant “to look at”, “to view”, “to behold”.
The word theôros meant, among other things, “onlooker”, “observer”, “watcher”. A theatês was “one who sees”.
The noun theôria meant such things as “a looking at”, “a viewing”, “a beholding”. (Thence the English word “theory”, originally referring to someone’s view on a matter.)

The verbs theaô and theaomai referred, among other things, to “being an onlooker”, “watching as a spectator”. Theama meant “that which is seen”, “a sight”. Theaomai (thaomai) meant “to gaze”, “to contemplate”, “to wonder” and so on. The related noun thea meant “a seeing”, “a looking at”, “a view”.

In short: It could be that the meaning of the noun theos was something like “he who sees”, “watcher”.

I think both science and theology can be thought of as ways that humans have devised ...to study the source....

~ wink

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.