Well i'm going to try to be respectful here, but I may slip up. I'm truly sorry if I offend anyone it's not my intention. My philosophy on religions...is basically that they do more harm than good. I used to be christian but for the past 5 years or so i've been enjoying life and not concerning myself with who or what I should worship. Historically most wars are caused by religious debates, and while I realize that more recently they have been religious extremists I think the point is still a good one. I truly believe that humans have a profound need to believe that there is something out there much greater than ourselves. This need drives us to believe in supernatural gods. Being an aspiring scientist one of my current favorite quotes says "science cannot operate on faith alone". It's practically in my job description to be open minded and skeptical. If someone came to me with absolute irrefutable confirmation that there is a god out there great! i'd take a look, but as of yet there is nothing like that out there. Atheism, since you asked, is as much of a religion as anything else. It still requires that you ascribe to a set of beliefs or non-beliefs in this case. It closes you off to the possibilities life has to offer. Overall I just think that religion is helpful to those who don't want to deal with the harsher parts of life.

parsimonious as always...