ABOUT LOCATING GOD
==================

Check out:

http://www.ucobserver.org/faith/2010/01/interview_john_spong/

IN THE FORUM

Retired Episcopalian bishop John Shelby Spong--who, in my opinion is a non-theist--was asked a question about locating 'God'. He responded: "I don't think you can locate God, or define God. All you can do is define the human experience of God, and that might be delusional."

I responded to his comment:

I agree. Any god that can be located is an idol. The atheists are right, in this sense god does not exist. For this reason, when I write the name of the Divine Being, I no longer feel comfortable using the noun God, even when I capitalize it. It implies that such a 'god' is a three-dimensional and human-like supernatural being who lives out there--separate and apart from us. No wonder atheists like Richard Dawkins call on theists to produce the evidence that such a 'god' exists.

Whenever I meet Dawkins-like atheists, which I respect, I always ask: Do you believe that, despite the reality of evil, Good is possible; so is having Order out chaos possible, and Desirable? They usually respond, "Yes!" Then I respond: There is G.O.D.

GOD is an acronym, not a noun. A noun is too small to describe the concept. This thought came to me when I read Tennyson's poem, Higher Pantheism.

GOD, as I understand the concept has no dimensions, no properties (Nicola Tesla) and no gender. GOD simply is Being--not a being--is Existence, is Law, Light, Spirit, Love--all that IS, which, being Self-evident needs no proof.
========================================
Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809-1892)
The Higher Pantheism

1 The sun, the moon, the stars, the seas, the hills and the plains,-

2 Are not these, O Soul, the Vision of Him who reigns?

3 Is not the Vision He, tho' He be not that which He seems?

4 Dreams are true while they last, and do we not live in dreams?

5 Earth, these solid stars, this weight of body and limb,

6 Are they not sign and symbol of thy division from Him?

7 Dark is the world to thee; thyself art the reason why,

8 For is He not all but thou, that hast power to feel "I am I"?

9 Glory about thee, without thee; and thou fulfillest thy doom,

10 Making Him broken gleams and a stifled splendour and gloom.

11 Speak to Him, thou, for He hears, and Spirit with Spirit can meet-

12 Closer is He than breathing, and nearer than hands and feet.

13 God is law, say the wise; O soul, and let us rejoice,

14 For if He thunder by law the thunder is yet His voice.

15 Law is God, say some; no God at all, says the fool,

16 For all we have power to see is a straight staff bent in a pool;

17 And the ear of man cannot hear, and the eye of man cannot see;

18 But if we could see and hear, this Vision-were it not He?

==========000000000000============

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org