As I understand it: university courses, on economics, are based on the assumption that planet earth is a place of scarce supply, especially now that more and more people, born in poverty, are beginning to demand their just share.

I once heard a comedian say: Consumer economics is when advertisers convince us to buy more and more things, which we do not really need, with money we do not really have, to impress people we do not really like. smile

Here are a couple of the more-formal definitions, first:
Quote:
Economics is the social science that studies the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. The term economics comes from the Greek for oikos (house) and nomos (custom or law), hence "rules of the house(hold)." [BTW, English versions of the New Testament translate the Greek 'oikonomos' as 'stewardship'. Much of the Bible is about economics.]

Modern economics developed out of the broader field of political economy in the late 19th century, owing to a desire to use an empirical approach more akin to the physical sciences. A definition that captures much of modern economics is that of Lionel Robbins in a 1932 essay: "the science which studies human behaviour as a relationship between ends and scarce means which have alternative uses."

Scarcity means that available resources are insufficient to satisfy all wants and needs. Absent scarcity and alternative uses of available resources, there is no economic problem. The subject thus defined involves the study of choices as they are affected by incentives and resources.
Second:
Quote:
The study of how the forces of supply and demand allocate scarce resources. Subdivided into microeconomics, which examines the behavior of firms, consumers and the role of government; and macroeconomics, which looks at inflation, unemployment, industrial production, and the role of government.

GOD AND ECONOMICS
The abundant life, or supply, is already there. We will get it when we open the gates and get rid of our resistance factor. For those who make no resistance to GOD--that is, to that which is all goodness, order and desirable design (beautiful)--there is no lack of supply--physically, mentally and spiritually. All we need is available. Note that I said 'need'. Wants, usually accompanied by avarice or greed, are something else.

Whenever I lack any physical, mental or spiritual supply, or gifts, without blaming myself, anyone else, or even circumstances, I accept personal responsibility for what is.

I do not ask, or petition, a god, out or up there, to do this or that for me. As part of my regular contemplation/meditation, I simply tune into, or connect with--which, by the way, best translates the semitic word 'slaha' which we, mistakenly translate as 'prayer' (asking for something).--and use the laws of intention, and attraction. Then I ask (often silently): What knowledge, wisdom and imagination--grounded in sighted faith, a lively hope and spiritual love--do I need, here, to open the gates of abundance wider than they already are? Then I affirm: I will be lead to the things I need to know, to the people I need and who need me, the things that we all need to do and the power to take action.

So far, I have received amazing and positive results and the supplies I need. This often comes from strangers and sources completely new to me.

Do I always get what I want? NO!

But later, I usually find that what I wanted wasn't the wisest and best thing to have, anyway.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org