Ellis, actually I was making a joke! smile

BTW, years ago--There was a well-known RC Cardinal, in the Philippines--either dead or retired by now--by the name of Cardinal Sin.
=============
Meanwhile, thanks for seeing the points I am trying to make about the importance of understanding the role of sin in our lives.

On more than one occasion--such an occasion happened just in the last couple of weeks--I have found that helping people deal with the sin going on in their lives did help promote personal health and restore broke family relationships.

The occasion mentioned above: The lady who came to see me, having already suffered breast cancer, was told, a few weeks ago that the cancer had spread to her lungs (a rather large sized tumor)--she was also an addicted smoker--and that she needed major surgery, soon. The prognosis was for a long recovery period, if she was lucky, gave up smoking, and if it had not spread to the other lung, which he feared.

Long story short: In the presence of my wife, a friend of hers, I gave her one hour of pneumatherapy--a spiritually-based form of hypnosis.

She was able to quit smoking, immediately, without withdrawal problems.

When, in preparation for the surgery, the doctor examined her a few days later, he found the tumor had shrunk, dramatically.

"I can removed it without major surgery" he said.

She was home from hospital in five days. My wife and I visited her shortly after that. She then began opening up he feeling to her daughter.

Today, her daughter--the one with whom there was conflict--took her out to dinner to celebrate her birthday. (Yes, I have permission to tell this story.)

I would hazard a guess, that the vast majority, if not all, of us human beings have, on more than one occasion, suffered pain, sorrow and the like because of our own sins and/or the sins of others.

PSYCHOLOGY, RELIGION AND HEALING
The title of a book by the minister/psychologist, Dr. Leslie D. Weatherhead, which influenced my counseling and preaching.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Weatherhead
--------------------------------
Statistics tell us that the vast percentage--some doctors put it as high as 75%--of what make us sick arises in our minds and hearts (spirits). Even a high percentage of those trained in medicine, psychology and psychiatry--witness the recent mass killing by a psychiatrist in Fort Hood, in the USA--are not immune from what I call pneuma-psychosomatic conditions.
My basic undergraduate major happens to be in psychology/philosophy.

WHATEVER BECAME OF SIN?
-----------------------
Is the title of a book by the great psychiatrist--who was also active in his church as an elder--Dr. Karl Menninger.

He, his father and his brother founded a mental health clinic--one with a world-wide reputation, at Topeka, Kansas, in 1919.

I used his book and his ideas in many of my sermons on psychology, religion and healing. As I have said elsewhere, for over 30 years I did a series of lectures under the general heading of PNEUMATOLOGY--the study of all things spiritual. I also taught people how to use pneumatherapy on themselves.
-----------------------
The Menninger story is well covered at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Menninger

BTW, the term 'sin' is not one found exclusively in the Bible, or religion. It is in dictionaries on psychology. The one I use, published in 1952, is by the late Dr. James Drever. While he does regard it as a divine law.

He wrote that it is a "contravention of moral law". Which I assume is respected by all civil people. Agreed?

Last edited by Revlgking; 11/17/09 07:56 AM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org