THE CONTROVERSIAL CANADIAN, THE REV. GRETTA VOSPER
==================================================
She has written a controversial book: WITH OR WITHOUT GOD--Why the Way We Live is More Important than What We Believe.

http://progressivechristianity.ca/ccpc/i...t&task=view

Check out her personal messages to be found on her site.
Check out http://warmplace.ca/

Recently, there were two major articles about her, in the Globe (Taking Christ Out of Christianity), and National Post (Christianity Without Christ), and the numerous letters--mostly negative and critical of her theological and biblical position--in the media, including the Observer.

BTW, I just got word from the National Post that they will be publishing the following letter, which I wrote in response to one of the letters in the NP:

Jean Seager, an 85-years-old who admits she is sceptical of all religion, wrote a letter in which she expressed her feeling that all religion is dead and worthy of being dissected. In response I wrote:

Editor:
Re: ... but do we even need religion? (Tuesday, May 6)

As a 78-year-old, I just got around to reading the letter by the 85-year-old, Jean Seager, in which she praises Greta Vosper's dissection of religion. I would like to ask Jean: Do you mean all religions? Are you saying that all religions are dead, are based on useless rituals and primitive fairy tales and need to be dissected to see what killed them? I don't think Greta Vosper thinks this is so. Why would she care about and stay with a dead religion?

Sure, some systems of religion were--and some still are--doctrinaire, triumphalist, fundamentalist, fanatic and even sick unto death in their approach to the practice of religion. In addition, even some good religions have their share of hypocrites. Jesus pointed this out in his day. But the same can be said of all social systems, including governments, families, the way we educate our children, the justice system, health care, the media, whatever.

I had the good fortune to be raised in a healthy kind of religion--one with a broad and inclusive approach to life. My clergy and teachers taught me to be moral, ethical, kind, good and loving--to others, myself, all classes, races and creeds, including sceptics and cynics, not out of fear of an angry god who would send me to hell, but because it is the right thing to do. They also taught me to take personal responsibility for my life and circumstances. I am sorry to hear that you did not have the same good fortune I had.

Yes, Jean, if you will take the time to look around, I feel certain that you will find--in all the great religions--there are leaders and teachers who do practice what they preach. There are fellowships which are built on the foundation of a living faith, a joy-filled hope and on creative love. Filled with sincere people willing to offer constructive criticism and give generous service, like I hope you are, such religions will stay healthy and have no need to be dissected.
=======================
Mary, did you take note of what the Rev. Vosper says about petitionary prayers?
Slaha, the Aramaic for prayer simply means "to connect with, or to tune into...".

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org