Originally Posted By: redewenur
As we may all know, the Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe tends toward high entropy. That's to say, there are processes in the universe that are converting various forms of energy into heat energy. Certainly, a 'heat death' of the universe would be in the unimaginably distant future, but in the meantime it's on its way, and the process of thermodynamic entropy does in fact dominate.

Well, entropy is always increasing or remaining the same in a closed system. If you want to call that a domination, OK.

Quote:
What I find so remarkable about life (living things) is that it's so incredibly complex and organised, and runs counter to the process of entropy.

That is not the case. Living things cannot and do not violate the laws of thermo.

There is nothing in the laws of thermodynamics that prevents taking useful energy from one place and transfering it to another place. This can happen in either a closed or opened system.

Quote:
My understanding (such as it is) is that information and entropy are two sides of the same coin. The 'increase of entropy' is another way of saying the 'loss of information'.

The entropy terms in information theories are not the same as the entropy term in thermodynamics. In fact, the entropy terms in different information theories are not the same (nor is the definition of 'information' the same in different theories).

Quote:
The advent of living organisms was, as I said, counter to the process of entropy. Living things are focal points of information. I can't say more, because beyond that I don't know what it means.

Damn! I was hoping you could explain what that means! wink

Quote:
Please excuse the detour, but life is so complex that its origin is seen by many as "Evidence for God".

This may be seen by many as evidence for God, but it's nothing more than God of the Gaps thinking, with a little argumentum ad populum thrown in for good measure.

We know life was far less complex in the geologic past. There is no reason for science to throw up its collective hands and conclude anything is so complex that a supernatural being stepped in to give things a nudge.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis