blacknad wrote:
"I believe that some of his acts appear monstrous from a human perspective."

An interesting statement as it is the only perspective allowed to those of us that are.

blacknad wrote:
"I also see that with the believer's differing set of base assumptions about the nature of existence, suffering,"

I'll accept that with the caveat that not all monotheistic religions have made saints out of those that flog themselves. But if you think, from your perspective, that there is value in the suffering of newborn children I cannot argue with that being your belief system. Though it does bring to mind your statement that those who "believe" are not mentally ill. I can't think of any other life form on the planet that puts value in the suffering of children.

I'll accept your statement that the differences in our thinking are not resolvable unless one of us does at 180. But when you walk into that other bedroom at 10:00pm and look at that child sleeping peacefully. What would be your reaction if when you went to the chemist he refused to give you a prescription because he had a different perspective than your own? Would you say "well that's what god did for 100,000 years so it must be Ok and walk away?

I don't think so.

No matter how easily you may be able to rationalize the fact that "god's" acts seem monstrous to us but they are ok because god did them ... you have to be willing to accept:

1. Killing every man, woman, and child on the entire planet with the sole exception being members of a single family (Noah).

2. Killing every first-born son in an entire country (Exodus).

3. Creating and intentionally withholding information about penicillin, tetracycline, rabies vaccine, tetanus vaccine, and a cure for malaria until some imperfect human scientist figures it out by means that never once include picking up a bible or praying for divine guidance.

Can you really do that? I tried once upon a time. I was about 15 years old. I failed miserably. And I've never been able to rationalize it since.

Monstrous acts are committed by monsters.

And if he/she/it doesn't like that statement then he/she/it may chose to force me to my knees but I will no sooner bow voluntarily than I will pull the wings from a butterfly.

DA Morgan