Learned theists have always used metaphors such as air, wind, breath, fire, light and life as metaphors, and as indirect evidence, for God. Only the un-learned--sincere ignorance is not a crime--tend to concretize God and think of him in a human-like form.

This is why, as a unitheist/neo-theist theologian, I prefer to use the symbol GØD. I do it to make sure people will ask: What are you trying to get across by that symbol?

This gives me the opportunity to respond to people who ask me,
what I mean by GØD, as follows:

Because I value freedom of belief, you are free to believe what you want to believe, especially if it makes you a better person and does not impinge on my freedom. But my free choice is to get rid of all idols, especially those we are tempted to create with the mind. This frees me from the constraints of dogma and encourages me to think.

Once we can do this, all things are possible, as long as it makes sense. I read a brief item in the Globe and Mail, today: It said, ineffect, that intellect helps us to distinguish between the possible and the impossible; reason helps us distinguish between that whiich makes sense and that which does not. Process theology sure stretches my intellect; and because of its emphasis on life as an eternal and joyful journey, it sure makes a lot of sense, to me.

Last edited by Revlgking; 05/15/07 05:00 PM.