Blacknad wrote:

"Surely evolution is subject to progression."

As I've said elsewhere the confusion of biological evolution with progress is a hangover from its origin in Victorian England. The Industrial Revolution had convinced people that society was in a state of steady upward progress Of couse the ultimate product of progress was "Man", especially European if not specifically Englishman. Women seem to have missed out, which is surprising. For a start any human evolution is impossible without them.

Ellis, I think I misunderstood your point. I'm not sure I get it yet. Any subspecies of Christianity could be defined as accepting the resurrection. But some extinct subspecies such as Gnostics, Arians and Albigenses may not have. They can be regarded as an offshoot. Perhaps it's just our understanding of God that evolves rather than God Him/Her self. But God is almost certainly a human construct and so an evolving concept is the same as an evolving God.

I agree we're both lucky to live in a part of the world where religion is not important. My ancestors came from Ireland in the 1860s to escape the stupidity there. Great grandparents married in a Catholic Church and buried in an Anglican. Shows their commitment to The Faith.