Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
If you will accept my right to define GOD as I understand GOD to be, I can prove that GOD is.

"This is the start of a common line of poor reasoning..."

Poor reasoning, is it? Since when is it poor reasoning to try and establish and understand what it is that we are talking about. Have you ever heard the joke about the W.C.--the British short-form for water-closet, or toilette?

There is funny essay in which a writer uses this short-form to describe a public W.C. out in the country. Read this essay in front of Brits and Canadians and every sentence will probably get laughs. The biggest laugh usually comes at the end, when the reader announces that he is talking about a Wayside Chapel.

What scientist worth his test tubes and beakers would waste his time researching something if he had no idea of what it is he is looking for. A good theory, like a rational faith must be based on a concept, or an idea, of what could possibly be true.

By the way, I am not a traditional theist because I cannot accept what many theists presume to be true. For example, I do not believe that there is a God who is an objective and man-like being who exists separate and apart from us in some place called Heaven.

Quote:
The writer then defines God as a thing whose existence could hardly be questioned by anyone, and then goes on to suggest that this object which obviously exists has all of the qualities of a God that is defined in some other way.
Nonsense! I object when this kind of spin is put on my words.

This is not what I have in mind when I write GOD--GOD, for me, is not JUST the sum of all things, unless this includes that metaphysical, spiritual, something which interpenetrates and surrounds all things.

More spin
Quote:
There's another form of poor reasoning that goes: such and such was a famous scientist and he believed in God; therefore, God is a scientific concept.

Quote:
There are many places on the net to promote religion...
I am not interested in promoting any one kind of religion. I am calling for ongoing research as to the nature and function of religions, theologies, etc. If objective research finds that religion is of little or no value--some argue that all religions are evil--I am all in favour of finding out, one way or the other. Let the facts tell us what is socially valuable and useful.

Last edited by Revlgking; 01/22/07 05:24 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org