Originally Posted By: Ellis
---that's exactly what I'm getting at. God is whatever you as a person believe in.

Absolutely True.

Unless God exists. Then God is what God is, whether people believe in God or not.

Belief is Useful even if you believe wrong things, as long as the fruit of that belief is good and it produces good actions. But I am not implying that anyone should persist in false belief, when better evidence leads to another belief (even if that new belief will produce wrong actions).

However, Belief is Correct only when it consistent with reality. If God exists as a small pixie in a bottle then only someone who believes in God as a small pixie in a bottle is right. All other belief about God is misleading and irrelevant and God is not '...whatever you as a person believe in'.

Originally Posted By: Ellis
I cannot tell you it is wrong because it is what you have chosen to believe.

True, on metaphysical issues you can only say what you believe and present some evidence why you believe it, but the belief is always subjective. Revlking believes in something without any evidence whatsoever - Christianity rests upon both historical evidence (however debatable - but at least open to rational examination) and the 'self informing' evidence of personal experience (not open to rational debate). Revlking's belief is purely based upon 'self informing' evidence and is not open to any kind of debate.

In fact it is so woolly that it matters not whether anyone believes in it or not. In my experience (where such profound matters are concerned) there is always a consequence of believing something that is true - so Rev's beliefs are irrelevant.

Blacknad.