Tim: Perhaps you have noticed? I write "G?D" as my translation of the Hebrew Elohim, which, BTW, is the plural form. The singular is Eloh (The highest Power). The Arabic form is Allah. The Greek form is Theos (the highest idea). Every language has it own form. Our word is related to the German, Gott.

Modern Orthodox Jews use G-d. It is my opinion that our word "God"--or as I prefer G?D--simply means the "highest good". For example, "goodbye" is Old English. It is a contraction of "God be with you". The French say adieu--to God. The Spanish say adeos--also via con deos, go with God.

Now, let me ask you: How do you conceive of God.
Do you think of God as an objective being?
Do you think of Him as a male, human-like being with eyes, ears, arms,legs and bodily organs like us human beings? One who lives in a certain place in outer space?

MY BELIEF, AS BEST AS I CAN STATE IT IS AS FOLLOWS
I believe in G?D as--the one, powerful and highest good idea, which is total, universal and all-encompassing, beyond my mind to conceive in any objective form. G?D, for me, is not confined to space, time or gravity. In my humble opinion, G?D IS space, time and gravity--physically speaking.

Like orthodox Jews, I refuse to objectify G?D, mentally, because that, for me, means making of G?D an idol, for bidden in Deuteronomy and Exodus. How do you respond to this comment?

Interestingly, the Hebrew word for "God" in Genesis 2:4, which we translate "Lord God" is not Elohim, it is Yahweh, which literally means, I AM WHO I AM AND WHO WILL BE. It is the essence of the verb "to Be"

To Orthodox Jews, it is a mysterious concept which they refuse to pronounce, to write and to concretize.

Last edited by Revlgking; 03/05/07 05:57 AM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org