Originally Posted By: Blacknad
It's good to have you around

Thanks! I'm glad to have found the forum.

Quote:
- we have had some really nutty Christians in the past who have approached debate in the following terms:

"I'm right - Don't believe me eh? Then I'm happy to say you're going to Hell you filthy dog."

Well, here's the thing: I happen to think I'm right (in terms of religion, anyway). I also happen to know that not everybody agrees with me. Are they all going to hell? I dunno. I'm not God and I'm not privvy to the mind of God. I suspect that as long as they lead good lives and are good people who spread love in the world that they are probably fine. And even if they are all going to hell, who am I to judge them? It's the whole "Judge not lest thee be judged" thing. They already know that it's the opinion of a lot of people that the unfaithful will go to hell. If I said it, it wouldn't be news. It would just be another whacko Christian preaching at them.

Instead, I find great interest in the actual interface between science and religion. There is no divide there - the divide is created by misunderstandings on both sides. It's a continuum, and a smooth one at that. We're in a scientific golden age right now. But I think that within a few centuries we might begin to discover even more incredible things in that gray area. The grey area is dark right now because of the divide created by close-minded people. But as light is shed there, it will become gray and then golden. And THAT'S when we will have truly evolved - when we can harness the power of all the science behind us with the light of communion with God before us. (Oops, I accidentally got my preaching hat on there for a minute. I thought about deleting all that, but it seems it would be a shame to not leave it since it's all sincere.)

Quote:
You appear to be able to think things through and I like your approach to faith issues.

Again, thank you. There are more logic-minded faithful out there than you think. Most of them just aren't as vociferous as our fundie cousins.

Quote:
Why not fill out your profile so we can know a bit more about you.

The only place that really asks for anything at all insightful is the Interests/Hobbies question and it only gives 200 characters. I went ahead and filled it out, but if you want to get to know me then just keep prompting me to write stuff. wink

w