Blacknad I liked reading your defence of religion, because of course you are quite right. The majority of christians are not posting in places like this, defending their faith or having annoying atheists nit-picking their every utterance!

I want to tell you something that I found out which supports your idea that most christians are living quiet lives trying to follow the teachings of their Leader. A few years ago I wanted to help somehow in the awful mess growing daily in Africa, I looked for a non-christian sponsored way to do this. I thought that some humanist organisation would be established. Well maybe they are now, but then I could not find any. So I sponsored a child through World Vision. This was 16 years ago. The village she lived in was improved to such an extent that they withdrew because the living conditions were so much better. I now sponsor another girl in another part of Africa.

My point is that this a christian organisation, often first on the scene of disasters, inspired by their faith to do something we atheists don't usually do. That is - go and offer help when it is needed. Such inspiration has to be one of the good things about religion.