Originally Posted By: samwik
Hey! Entropy can explain the origin of life. Why not equate God and entropy?

Can it?

"entropy n. 1 Physics measure of the disorganization or degradation of the universe, resulting in a decrease in available energy. 2 Physics measure of the unavailability of a system's thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work" - Pocket Oxford Dictionary.

It amazes me that life could ever have arisen in a universe seemingly dominated by entropy. There are clearly forces of nature at work that oppose entropy. It may appear to be a losing battle, but life forms, particularly intelligent life forms, are themselves a force that opposes entropy.

Originally Posted By: samwik
This is an interesting point because as we learn more about reality, the material, physical world, it is revealed to be more transcendent in character (transcending spacetime, substance, and dimensions).

...and when I say "reality 'transcends' Nature," I just mean that reality is much more complex than we are usually aware of.

Absolutely. It appears 'more transcendent' only because we are discovering further depths to nature that we find difficult to comprehend. It isn't literally trascendent at all - just very hard for the human mind to understand. Gone are the days of the elephant on the turtle's back - we now create new mythologies; but nature does not, by definition, transcend itself. God, of course, does (if you accept the God hypothesis). So, no matter how incomprehesible we find nature, it's entirely within the scope of science, whereas a transcendent God (personal or impersonal) is not.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler