"and in this case science would have us believe that algal structures just happened to form in amazing footprint shapes"
That's not clear. One of the algal growths appears under a ridge between the toes, meaning if it were a "substrate pressure line" as Patton and Baugh propose, that oddly there is greater pressure between the toes than under the toes in that case. In another case it is under the toes. What is it that we infer from this?

"So far the evidence has not held water , in my opinion."
If you can't look at the print and tell it's a fake, I'm pretty sure that the analysis of actual scientists is not going to be very convincing to you. Your appraisal of the evidence is important to you. It's not the long pole in the tent for scientists.

You asked for the info. I gave it. I have no interest in debating the subject other than to post links to counter some of the more egregious creationist claims.

The thread title asks why Americans don't believe in evolution. The question is moot - evolution does not require belief, but it does engender tentative acceptance in those who understand the evidence.

Many of our citizens reject the opinions of scientists by holding the actual science they don't want to believe to an unattainable standard of "absolute proof." They accept largely uncritically the rantings of non-scientists like Baugh, Patton, and others.

Sagan pegged it when he suggested an epitaph for planet Earth:
"They accepted the products of science; they rejected its methods."

Americans are like radical Islamists in their efforts to protect the narrowest interpretation of their religion. The myriad ways that religion interfered with scientific progress extends far beyond the matter of Galileo. Daniel Boorstin, the former librarian of congress, wrote in his book, "The Discoverers"
"The greatest obstacle to discovering the shape of the earth, the continents and the ocean was not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge."

Apologetics was developed for the purpose of maintaining the illusion of knowledge. Americans uncritically spread and repeat this stuff like poison amongst themselves and take it for granted that it's either 1) a great mystery to scientists, or 2) a complex conspiracy by scientists to keep the truth hidden.

Anatole France said, "If 50 million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."