Oh yeah, and it's TIRE, not TYRE.

Okay, seriously for a change. I didn't mean to call you a twit. Bad wording on my part. I just get tyred of questions like "Why don't cheerleaders wear panties?" that I get to where personal and ridiculous seem the only way to freshen it up.

The point is: America is clueless as to what it believes. There are consistent stats that indicate 85+% of Americans are Christians. I have traveled America extensively. I have worked/lived in all but 4 or 5 states. My job required that I have rather extensive dialogue and even social relationships with hundreds of people. From this I know/opine that most of the men I have ever met, especially husbands, call themselves Christians because they hate sleeping on the couch. When you get them alone and make them comfortable, they don't have a clue what they "believe". And the few that did believe were the scariest humans I ever met. There are huge numbers that call themselves Christians because that's how they grew up and they have never bothered to check it out. They also have never read the Bible. The all time best seller and all time never read. And the all time least understood because it's also the all time least understandable. There are huge numbers of Americans who became Buddhists because it's cool and the only thing they do is argue with each other over whether they should meditate sitting on a pillow or not. Just like the Baptists argue with the Catholics over Sprinkle vs. Dunk. There are huge numbers of people who "believe" because they don't have a clue but also don't want to take the risk of missing the big guy when he calls them all to the sky. In a nutshell, most of the thumpers I’ve ever got to know never gave so much as a thought to belief. They spent all their time memorizing the dogma and ritual. Remembering the Rosary, genuflecting, transubstantiation, transmogrification, etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

If you could get all these "religious" people together and figure out some way to get them all to answer truthfully, it would sound like a huge flock of seagulls trying to eat a hubcap.

Questions worth consideration are questions like "Is religion hardwired?" "Are there evolutionary reasons for its enormous popularity?" Logic and research can be applied to these questions. Something can be learned. Questions like "Why doesn't America believe in evolution?" are doomed to spiral dramatically into personal tirades because they are bullsh** questions in the first place.

In real life, I've had to learn to duck a roundhouse. On this forum, I may have over-reveled a bit knowing I didn't have to worry about that and I love a blistering dialogue with people who express themselves well. I’ll try to kerb my satirical side as well as my schadenfreude a bit. I’m just trying to have a little fun while I await the event horizon. If I can learn a little along the way, so much the better.

Cheers.

When you talk to me like I'm five, I want to write on you with a crayon. -- Joanna Hoffman