I was never taught evolution and I went to a school that was pretty good in most other departments.

I've spoken with a lot of people who simply were not taught the subject.

Also, I think that when it is covered reasonably well, it's not integrated into the biology curriculum. My girls were taught it: mentioned in 7th grade life science, and taught for several days in 9th grade biology. Probably less than 10 lectures, maybe even less than 5. I just don't think that's sufficient to really understand the material.

Also our own propaganda tells us that "nothing makes sense except for in the light of evolution" and that "evolution is a central unifying concept in biology," but we don't really teach it that way - possibly because of a shortage of teachers who understand, but probably more so that they tend to shy away from the controversy.

Finally, I think when it *IS* covered, kids brains have already been turned off. The preachers and parents have already told them "all they need to know" and have effectively inocculated them against reason or honest evaluation of the details.

"The bible said it. I believe it. That settles it."