Originally Posted By: finiter
It may be an indication that the expansion of the universe is directional, and in that case the universe can have a centre.

Your sort of thinking is somewhat correct it would have a centre but that centre would not be in our universe weirdly. It would probably also wobble like most barycentres do.

To understand why it cant be in the universe you would have to go back and understand what alpha represents.

The question the researchers didnt think about and I was hinting at to Bill S it may imply the universe is spinning about this off universe centre creating a magnetic dipole, see they observed EM waves which are subject to magnetic effects.

It easy to imagine that, call the surface of earth the universe we are rotating about a centre point and that point is not on the surface of our planet.

Alot of galaxies rotate it's not much of a stretch to consider the universe rotating.

Infact if you follow my discussions I actually discussed that I had done work on that exact proposition and theory but threw it away because I had no observational data to back it up.

Last edited by Orac; 11/01/11 05:49 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.