Other way around Bill S from what I understand finiter says things inherently don't move you apply a force to make them move. So when they are stationary there are no forces exerted on them they are in balance with there enviroment.

Thats why he finds it weird in 3D we would need 3 paired forces he is assuming (X,Y,Z).

Of coarse Bill G and I will tell him there there aren't 3 paired forces there are literally billions. Newtons gravity law is explicit gravity has no space limit and each and everybody exerts a force on use and we exert one back on them.

When we do normal physics calculations almost all of the forces as so small we ignore them as trivial.

Of coarse when we move to GR theory we say gravity is a fiction force like centripetal acceleration and all that is happening is the time scale becomes stretched due to spacetime distortion around the planetary object. Thus there is only 1 force the once between the two surfaces against each other. There are no lateral forces for a stationary body in GR.

Last edited by Orac; 09/08/11 06:46 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.