Originally Posted By: Bill
I think what Orac was saying wasn't what you read. I think he meant there is no perpetual motion even in space.

Correct Bill that darn english thing again :-)

Now I will give my take on perpetual motion in space.

Imagine a universe with just 2 perfect masses in it. That is they are point source masses. Assume they are in a circular orbit around their common center of mass. I believe this is one stable solution to the 2 body problem. Under these conditions I believe you would have a system in perpetual motion. They would circle each other for eternity.

Nope not even if you make the two bodies perfect you would have to extend your universe to be a perfect vacuum as well as your two planets would bump into the few molecules floating around imparting them with energy and slowing down be it ever so infintesimal.

I suppose that the universe as a whole might represent a sort of perpetual motion, but that depends on the overall evolution of the universe. That is far beyond anything I am prepared to speculate on. I do figure that that really gets into the realm of speculation.
Bill Gill

Thats the same view as all the smart money in physicist circles :-)

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.