I am putting this in a seperate reply as you may want to answer it differently Bill S.

You are looking at the universe we have a very similar problem when we look at radioactive decay of atoms.

I can measure two atoms to whatever precision I like and we can find no difference between them. Yet one of those atoms will decay and one may go on for eterntity.

Infact if I measure a whole bunch of thsoe atoms which I can not distinguish they obey the half life rule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life) that exactly half of them will decay in a set period, yet each and every atom was apparently identical.

So your problem you are having with the universe exists even in the single atom.

The QM background to this is another one of those reasons I believe QM is the most fundemental process in the universe but I stress this is simply my personal view there definitely is no clear science model of how this all works as we have only snippets of the processes.

Last edited by Orac; 10/26/11 01:36 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.