Originally Posted By: Bill

B.S. you don't like my pile of rocks. Ok, let's assume an infinite universe. Then there are an infinite number of atoms in the universe. But I can still take out atoms individually or in clumps, such as the clumps making up the rocks in my rock pile, or in my body.

As to whether something finite can become infinite. I have been avoiding that question. However, I generally feel that a finite set cannot become infinite. However, that still doesn't keep me from working with a finite subset of an infinite set.
Bill Gill

The number of integers is a mathematical concept. It can be infinite. But the number of atoms is a physical concept. So, when you assume that the universe is infinite, the question that you are avoiding (whether there can be an infinite number of finite atoms) comes up again. Theoretically, there cannot be any limit to the number of atoms. However, that does not make it infinite unless you insist that there can be an infinite number of finite things. If the number of atoms is finite, the limit is set arbitrarily (by whom? we can only speculate). In such cases we cannot use the term 'boundless' (as pointed out by you), unless the term is defined so.