Originally Posted By: Bill S.

... a problem grasping the difference between mathematical and physical infinities. Of course, many mathematical truths equate to physical truths, but not necessarily all.

Regarding the difference between mathematical and physical infinities, I agree with you. Mathematics and physics are two independent domains. Mathematics is a toll that we can use in physics. We cannot replace 'physical concepts' with 'mathematical concepts'.

In my opinion (based on my theory), the quantum nature and finiteness are related. An entity that is made up of identical fundamental particles can be regarded as quantized. The fundamental particles will have finite qualities and so the entity will be finite. An entity that have no such basic units is not quantized, and so will be infinite.

Space and time are not quantized, and so are infinite. Space and time without matter represents the reality of nothingness - we can even say there is no physical world. When matter comes into into the arena, there is something that exists in the space; existence is something connected with time.

Unlike space and time, matter is a quantized entity; so any system made up of matter is finite, and we have a finite universe. Can there be an infinite number of finite universes? It is illogical to say 'Yes'. But there is no theoretical limit; you say then it can be called 'boundless'. Does 'boundless' also mean infinity? 'Boundless', I think, should be defined as a physical infinity, thus distinguishing it from the mathematical infinity.