Originally Posted By: finiter
My definition has already been given. 'Force is something that can create changes in a body'.

The mathematical definition of force gives the wrong (in my opinion) notion that force imparts energy. What I argue is force cannot impart energy.

Rather than saying force imparts energy a better way to say it is to say that force transfers energy. The total energy in a system is constant. A force is capable of transferring energy from one part of the system to another.

You say that "The speed of the orbiting body does not increase". It may or may not depending on the orbit. But the velocity of the orbiting body does. If you use the mathematical tools to calculate the change you will find out that it all comes out even.

You say that you don't like mathematical laws of the universe. Just think about it a little and you may realize that the mathematics is just a tool to describe the laws. When we say f = ma then we are saying that the mathematical formula describes the physical fact that a push (or pull) causes a mass to change its velocity in a specific way. You are objecting to the math and saying that the math is the law. The math is simply a shorthand way to describe the law.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.