Originally Posted By: Bill S.

This is where we seem to part company. I strongly suspect that there can never have been a time when there was absolutely nothing or there would still be nothing now.

And science would absolutely agree with you to an extent BUT we add it does not have to be space it could be energy or something that can become space and this is especially true of QM.

Originally Posted By: Bill S.

If this is the case, something must be physically infinite. This leads to the question: What does it mean to be physically infinite?

And again I have a problem with what you have written here.

As I have agreed above from outside our universe I agree it is most definitely finite ... 100% agree with you.

However once you come inside the universe you are bound by those rules and the universe for anything real in the universe is infinite for we can't go outside.

I think what you are trying to talk about is the thing outside which our universe is theoretically in call it a multiverse or come up with a name and it is that which may ultimately make our universe finite.

We conceed that ourselves and we predict possible fates for the universe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe)

See our context paradox we give you ... well tell you the universe is infinite but we also tell you it's going to end and it causes us no problem at science because infinity is nothing more than a context idea.

I am thinking what you may really be asking can anything be "absolute infinity" like a zero reference frame.

The problem is it is not a question science can answer or even have a view on it because we would have to be absolutely certain we were at the top of the chain.

You could have a universe in a universe in a universe etc. How would I know when I got to the top?

So if your asking is there such thing as "absolute infinity" I really have no view on it, its much more a philosophical argument.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.