It is not just a possibility it is happening and always does, there is no perpetual energy even in space
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_acceleration)

The Moon is generating vast amounts of energy on the Earth's surface as it generates the tidal bulge. Those tides dissipate about 3.3 to 4 tW of energy (3.3 to 4 × 10E12 watts). The effect is the moon is moving slightly away each year as Earth transfers energy to the moon.

There are two alternate views on what will happen in 15 Billion years time with the moon at 1.6 times its current distance and a lunar period of 55 days.

i). The moon will stabilize and no longer cause tides. This will happen because the earth will at that point have the one side of earth always facing the moon as the one side of the moon faces earth now. So the tidal bulge will exists but be permanently still. So now the energy dissiapation will drop to a much lower level.

ii). At this locking point the moon is periously close to becoming retrograde because the earth is at present only 55% of the attractive force of the sun on the moon. At that distance it is very close to 50-50% the amount of weight the sun sheds between now and then is at best a guess at the moment.

The earth orbital change is harder to work because the sun is shedding mass as it burns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_orbit)

Anyone who tells you anyting with certainty about Earth's orbit is lying the n-body proof has even made it into wikipedia

Quote:

In 1989, Jacques Laskar's work showed that the Earth's orbit (as well as the orbits of all the inner planets) is chaotic and that an error as small as 15 metres in measuring the initial position of the Earth today would make it impossible to predict where the Earth would be in its orbit in just over 100 million years' time. Modeling the solar system is subject to the n-body problem.

There are simply too many bodies in play around the sun to say anything with certainty they can be adding or removing energy just as the Earth-moon system is.

Last edited by Orac; 09/04/11 02:10 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.