Originally Posted By: Orac
Why does a rotating bucket of water produce a curved surface under your theory? Nice easy one to start with.

The question is simple. But to answer it, I have to explain from the beginning. Of course, some of the explanations may go against the existing concepts (but any way, the explanations, I think, are logical). However, I will restrict the explanations to the minimum.

According to my theory, atoms are made up of fundamental particles(mass nearly 10^-47Kg). However, each atom can accommodate excess particles (each carrying energy equal to mc^2/2), and this increases the energy of the atom. Between atoms, energy is transferred by transferring vibrations (mechanically) and transferring fundamental particles.

In masses like Earth, Sun, etc. each atom has to possess the required energy to remain in a certain position in the mass. For each atom, the attractive forces are balanced by repulsive forces, and hence the mass as a whole remains stable. The attractive forces include gravitational force between atoms, gravity towards the centre of the mass (these have separate constants), and electromagnetic attraction. The repulsive forces include the electromagnetic repulsion and the energy possessed (vibration, rotation and translation) by the atom.

Now coming to the question: The bucket remaining stationary, each molecule of water possesses the required energy, and the forces remain balanced. Now on rotation, mechanical force is being applied. This causes energy transfer to the water molecules; this transfer takes place mechanically and also by transfer of fundamental particles.

The water molecules that acquire kinetic energy rises up defying gravity (towards Earth)in proportion to the energy acquired, and thus a curved surface is formed. As long as the mechanical force remains acting, the water will remain in that form and forces will remain balanced.

Here, in addition to the forces that existed in the beginning, there is a centripetal force towards the central axis of the bucket, caused by the rotation. For each atom, the centripetal force is balanced by the kinetic energy; ie, centripetal force is equal to (mv^2)/2, and not mv^2.

The differences between Newtonian concept and the proposed theory: Force does not impart energy, but causes transfer of energy (you have to identify the source of energy, especially in the case of force acting at a distance). The centripetal force is equal to the kinetic energy and there is no centrifugal force. Thus there is no fictional force (centrifugal force).

Last edited by finiter; 10/17/11 10:33 AM.