Quote:
Originally posted by finchbeak:
That's a lovely theory. Kinda gives you one of those moments where you slap your forehead and ask, "why didn't I think of that?"
One has to admit that it's pretty highly speculative stuff. Like much of evolutionary theory, there is still a lot of room for creationist losers to thrash away at it. Unfortunately, in a historical science, I fear that will always be the case.
Still, this idea explains the redundancy problem better than anything else I've ever seen. Occam is the evolutionary biologist's best friend.
Creationists don't accept Occam. Ultimately they'll say that God created the earth 5000 years ago in the state science believes it was in at that time (i.e. including all the fossils of dinosaurs and all the evidence for evolution etc.).

The best way to attack creationism is not by trying to find more evidence for evolution, but rather by making their ''theory'' ridiculous. You have to defeat them at their own game. Thing is that God didn't need to create the earth 5000 years ago, he could have done that ten minutes ago. Here you assume that the universe was created in the exact state it was in ten minutes ago.

There is no way to scientifically distinguish between the ten minutes old earth theory, the 5000 years old earth theory and evolution.
But there are a lot of theological arguments in favor of the ten minutes old theory.

A ten minutes old Earth implies that our memories of events that we remember happened more than ten minutes ago are false memories. God created us with these memories. This means that 9/11, WWII Hiroshima etc. never really happened. This is plausible (if you accept that creation is possible at all) because God would never have allowed for such horrible events.