In case DA Morgan?s original post has been forgotten

Source:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/08/050814170410.htm

If this work holds up it will be one of the most important and fundamental pieces of research in our life times.

It will prove, conclusively, that our DNA was created by purely natural processes and not by any intelligent or sentient being.

Use this to kick the cr.p of our your local religious nut-case. Oh yeah, they aren't rational beings, so perhaps you shouldn't try. They are the same people that used to burn witches and heretics.

--------------------
DA Morgan

Reply:
Before I went on to this extensive development of so many ideas for and against religion I made a reply on another topic, RELIGION AND THE BIG BANG, wherein I said that there did not seem to be any attack on religion here because there is no point. So, I was wrong. In spite of what may be a majority (fortunately not on this Forum?) of believers wishing to foster the growth of faith founded ideas there is still little purpose to use a potential scientific discovery to poke them in the eye. Anyway, what does such an argument prove? If I have a magic god wand I can change the DNA all I wish and put us all back with the fossils. There is simply no point no matter how much fun it may be. There is one area in astronomy that I find suggestive in Genius.

When some people attack the Bible, and I may do it some day, they argue that the creation part describes the creation of the UNIVERSE. I have never seen it that way. I see it as a reasonably good description of the start of the Solar System. Try changing the word God whenever used to ?gravity? or ?gravitation? and it is not to far from a depiction of the formation of the Solar System. Now, if you did not know anything about gravity God would provide a possible substitute for the authors back then. Now when Adam and Eve come along they have some thing a little heavier to work out.

I read every reply in this subject area and it was very informative, at times. Cheers.
jw