Philege,

I find it incredible that you define a Christian by his or her view on gays. Classing gays as mentally sick and demonic is not a part of any Christian creed that I have encountered.

I have not challenged your Christian status, just your behaviour. But I will leave you to it, as you're correct - on reflection, I am being holier-than-thou.

And your right, Einstein did believe in God, and had special regard for Christ...

This is clearly reflected in an interview which Einstein later in life gave to an American magazine, The Saturday Evening Post, in 1929:

"To what extent are you influenced by Christianity?"

"As a child I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene."

"Have you read Emil Ludwig's book on Jesus?"

"Emil Ludwig's Jesus is shallow. Jesus is too colossal for the pen of phrasemongers, however artful. No man can dispose of Christianity with a bon mot."

"You accept the historical Jesus?"

"Unquestionably! No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life." 7

In view of this interview it is understandable that Einstein is reported to have said that Christ Jesus was the greatest of all Jews.

Blacknad.